Tuesday, February 28, 2017

letter journal

The other night Jeff and Heidi were playing a funny little game.  He would hide in our room and lock the door and she would slip silly notes under the door ("Open the door now or I will bite your butt dad."   "What if  I don't come out?"  "Then I will break the door down and get you out.") I know, it sounds a little violent haha, but it was hilarious.  This little game made me realize that Heidi can read everything we write and respond.  Her reading skills are shocking me and she reads every single thing she can get her hands on.  I would say she is probably reading at the same level as the average student in the second grade classes I used to teach.  I am so proud of her and I am so excited that she loves to read.

I decided I would get her a little notebook/journal and use it as a way to connect with her each day.  I set it on her bed one day and she was so excited when she saw it and wrote me back right away.  Then she raced it down to my room and stuck it on my pillow.  I was so excited to see her response!  When she came home today the first thing she did
was race to her room to see if I had written her back.  I am not sure how long she will want to do this, but I plan on writing notes to her whether she gets tired of writing me back or not!

No comments: