Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back to School for Mommy


I officially started last week with three days of meetings, but this week I actually started my new job! The kids came back Monday, but I worked Tuesday and Wednesday. I am seriously so lucky. I met with the principal and the other Title I teacher and they decided it would be best for me to work two full days a week. But get this, I get to actually pick which two days each week I work. Of course I am trying to make it the same two as much as possible, but I since I can choose, I can work around Jeff's schedule. This means we only have to find a place for Heidi about once a month, twice on a bad month. I feel so incredibly spoiled. For September we worked it out so that we don't need a babysitter at all. It looks like October might be the same, but we might have to get a babysitter once. It makes me feel so much less guilty knowing that Heidi is spending quality time with her dad and she gets to be in her own surroundings with her own bed and schedule! Jeff is such a good dad and so involved so I don't even have to leave any instructions at all. He just knows when to put her down, what to feed her and how much, what she likes to play, and how to calm her down. Not to mention, he gets SO excited for his special daddy/daughter days. It is so nice! The only problem is that Jeff and I don't get to see each other much since on the days he's home, I work. That stinks, but I only work 9-3:30 so we still have a little time. It's so lovely not having to be to work until 9 because we have time to run in the morning and play without feeling rushed. Since the weather is nice, Jeff and Heidi have even been walking mommy to school!

So far, I LOVE the job! I love being back at the school I was at with people I love and doing something I absolutely adore. When I am there, I long to be back in the classroom full time. But then when I call Jeff on my break and hear Heidi saying, "hi, hi, hi, hi, hi..." (you get the point) I go crazy thinking about how long until I get to go home and kiss those cheeks. I hate feeling torn between two things I love, but I am so lucky to have both right now. I definitely don't think I would be happy working full time and being gone all day, every single day, but twice a week is perfect. I am excited to work in a different capacity than I am used to because I am already learning all sorts of new things. It will be so fun to work with all the grades and work and learn from all the teachers in the building. It's a one-year only position so I need to soak up as much as I can in the short time I am there!

2 comments:

The Peterson's said...

You are a wonderful teacher and mom! I am sure you will have an amazing year and Heidi will love the Daddy time!

Heidi said...

Yay for Back to School!! Can't wait to hear stories. Have a great year!