Monday, October 19, 2015

fall vacation, part 4 (grotto falls)

On our last day we hiked to Grotto Falls.  Jeff and I hiked past it when we had come, but it was more fun to see it with the girls.  It was about a three mile hike.  I think it was my favorite waterfall of the weekend.  It's a shame you really can't see how big it is in the pictures.  The other fun part of this hike is you get to cross about four rivers.  Oh my goodness did the girls love that adventure.  Caimbree could have played in the river water all day even though it was chilly that morning!!  Savanna crossing the river was hilarious.  She is definitely my most adventurous child and we got the biggest kick out of hearing her giggle as she figured out which rocks to step on.


 Heidi was so incredibly sad that we were leaving that day, but she was still really cheerful.  She kept saying, "I think I was born to be a hiker."  "You know, I really think I was born to hike."  She really did an awesome job navigating the rivers and tree roots.  It has been fun watching her learn to really enjoy hiking.


The hike was a great way to end a fabulous vacation.  We left around 1 and the traffic, thankfully, wasn't bad at all.  We were able to get out of the Smokies and hit the freeway in good time.  The girls were angels on the way home, but let us know multiple times that they wanted to go back to the Smokies and back to a hotel!  Words cannot express how much I love hiking and being in nature with my sweet little girls.  We have such fun, happy, and funny memories from our time together.  I love how much hiking we have been able to do since moving here.  There are so many incredible places to explore.  We are so glad we decided to see the Smokies in the fall, even if it was crowded!


No comments: