Sunday, October 18, 2015

fall vacation, part 3 (3 waterfall hike)

 This is a serious picture overload, but I don't know how to limit them down.  After Clingman's Dome we drove over on the border of North Carolina and did a three mile loop that had 3 different waterfalls.  There were some steep hills and lots of rocks, but the girls did awesome!  It was perfect weather.  Caimbree was so patient even though we didn't have a carrier.  She wanted to walk for a lot of it and if we had been patient enough, she would have walked the whole way.  I only wish the camera could capture the colors the way they appear in real life.





 The first waterfall wasn't very high up and was called Deep Creek.  There was a little bridge and a bench to sit on and we watched it for awhile.  Savanna was cute because whenever we would get close to a waterfall she was the first to hear it and would tell us she could hear it in her very excited voice.  It was fun to see her get into the hike.


 There were little creeks and streams occasionally and the girls were obsessed with touching the water.  They wanted to see if it was cold and splash around.  They all got really mad when we told them it was time to continue on our hike.



 I hope I don't forget what the colors really look like.  I mean, it was breathtaking and we had fun listening to the girls excitedly point out when they saw bright red.

 One funny thing that happened was Heidi was worried when  I took this one picture I was putting her too close to the edge.  She kept saying, "Mom always wants us to go in the most dangerous places for pictures!"  Now, if you know me, you know how far from the truth that really is.  So Jeff and I just could not stop laughing.  Who knew I suddenly became so interested in living on the edge?  I'm glad she was willing to play along in my dangerous games so we could get some pictures.


 The second waterfall was Indian Creek.  It was beautiful!  I especially liked the way all the fall leaves had fallen around the rocks.  Caimbree's binky is also at the bottom of the waterfall if you're wondering.



 The last waterfall was Tom Branch Waterfall. It was also beautiful!  Looking at all of these pictures reminds me just how beautiful it was and how much fun we had together.  I absolutely love hiking with my family.  So many memories being made.

The downer of the day was trying to get back into Pigeon Forge to the hotel. The traffic was backed up way into the Smokies and we got back 2 hours later than we should have.  The scenery was great, but having little kids who are starving and tired and need to pee make it a challenge.  Overall though, they were really so patient.  We walked to an IHOP next to our hotel when we finally made it back for a late dinner.  The girls were thrilled with their pancakes and we were thrilled that there wasn't a wait to get a seat.  By the time the girls went to bed they were exhausted.  If they hadn't thought the other one was a pillow half the night, they probably would have slept great!  They were still excited to wake up and eat at the hotel and go for another hike the next though so we can't complain!


No comments: