Sunday, November 9, 2014

on the mend

Heidi attempting to save Savanna from bedtime
so they could continue playing legos together.
 The last week and a half or so have not been very delightful in our house.  Heidi got sick right before Halloween.  We thought she had strep, she refused the test (as in kicking the nurse and screaming at the top of her lungs.)  The doctor said her throat looked really bad and had a fever so she was going to give her an antibiotic that would clear it up if it was strep.  Heidi is a very difficult sick patient because we never really know how sick she is because she tends to be a bit on the dramatic side.  She was still complaining about her throat and then right after Halloween she was up all night with a horribly stuffy nose.  I figured she didn't even have strep since a stuffy nose is usually not a symptom.  Anyway, she went from a nasty nose to a horrible cough and still a fever.  Her antibiotic was a 5 day thing and after that was over, she still had a fever.  Finally on day 6 of a fever I took her in again.  They gave her the antibiotic shot because I guess the one they gave her before was for respiratory or something.  Either way, it cleared it out but the cough is still hanging on.  Well, a day later Savanna got it and of course had a horrible nose and her fever wouldn't break either.  The doctor put her on antibiotic and the fever finally broke but now we are dealing with horrific diaper rash and still wiping her nose a lot.  The worst thing that happened was that Caimbree got it.  It was horrible to see a baby so small with a fever.  Her poor little eyes were just dripping and she just looked sick and sad. When her fever hit 101 I took her to Urgent Care after Jeff got home.  She had a horrible ear infection.  Thankfully they gave her the shot, which as such a blessing because I couldn't even get her to figure out how to swallow Tylenol.  It kicked in pretty quickly and she seems back to her happy self except for an occasional nose wipe.  It was a really hard time for me...seeing my poor babies sick, feeling helpless, and then of course, next to no sleep.  However, all I kept thinking was we are so blessed to have the Urgent Care in our town.  My life was ten times harder before it came.  I am so blessed they gave Caimbree a shot and that it worked to get rid of her fever.  We are so blessed she healed so quickly and didn't end up with anything worse.  I am so blessed that with all the snot I have been wiping, and for as many times as I have been hacked on and sneezed on, I through some miracle did not get sick (knock on wood). Jeff didn't fare quite so well, but at least his was a mild cold, not anything like what the girl's had.  It was a difficult week and a half, but we are over the worst of it and for that, I am feeling very, very happy!

No comments: