Thursday, October 31, 2013

happy halloween

 I know I posted earlier today, but I have to get this Halloween post in, because in two short days we have someone very special to celebrate and I want to make sure I am caught up!  
 This year Heidi was a doctor and Savanna was a kitty.  This was Savanna's first Halloween!!  I still can't believe last year I was two days from having her and I had no idea.  Of course, my body was telling me, but I was in complete denial.  I tried to give Heidi other costume ideas since she uses her doctor stuff multiple times a day, but she was adamant that is what she wanted to be.  They both looked pretty adorable!
 We had a Halloween party to go to in the morning and the second they woke up, Heidi wanted them to get in their costumes.  I put Savanna in hers first and Heidi couldn't contain her excitement.  She kept telling me how adorable Savanna looked.  Then her eyes started to sparkle and she ran to collect her doctor stuff.
 Apparently she thought Savanna was her own personal, alive, stuffed kitty and she couldn't wait to give her a check-up.  Our sweet little Savanna is seriously the most delightful, happy, good-natured child.  She patiently endured Heidi chasing her all over the house saying, "Come here, Kitty!!  It's time for your check-up!  Open wide!"  I could not stop laughing.  In all fairness, Savanna really did look like an adorable stuffed kitty.  Savanna was an absolute hoot at the Halloween party at the library.  She is such a social little thing and was going absolute crazy over all the kids in their costumes.  She would crawl over to each of them and start waving in their face.  It's hard not to love Savanna and her funny little personality.  She is my little social butterfly.
 We went to the ward trunk-or-treat and dinner in the evening.  Last year Halloween was absolutely beautiful, this year it was FREEZING.  Freezing.  Savanna didn't seem to mind and was happy as could be hanging out in the swagger wagon trunk passing out candy with her dad.
 Heidi was not thrilled about the freezing temperature, but somehow survived.  Don't ask me what they were looking at here, but it was clearly more interesting than mom behind the camera.
 We went to our neighbor's house when we got home to trick-or-treat, but opted out of going anywhere else because it was seriously freezing.  Have I mentioned that before?  If I haven't, you should know it was freezing...coldest Halloween I can remember in a long, long time.  Savanna was all over Heidi's candy.  Don't ask me how she knows what it is, but she does.  She can spot it a mile away and she will stop at absolutely nothing to get a piece of candy.  She has been known to eat pieces of the wrapper to get at what she wants.
Heidi was very sweet to share a few pieces and let Savanna play and drool all over her treats.  Of course we had to take more than half of her candy away due to peanuts.  I'm not going to lie, this is a really hard holiday with a peanut allergy.  Lots of things are challenging with a peanut allergy and I try not to be "that allergy mom", but it is really hard when it is literally a matter of life or death.  It's hard to think of ways to allow Savanna to experience peanuts and peanut butter without being a basket case.  I'm not complaining, I really am just so grateful to have two beautiful, healthy little girls and I try hard not think of the worst case scenario but days like today it is pretty much all I think about.

We had a great Halloween and the girls can't wait to celebrate again in 365 short days!  

No comments: