Saturday, November 10, 2007

All the Water....

So just when I think my life is pretty uneventful we have a very exciting evening. We have had roofers at our apartment for a could of days reshingling the roof of our place. Because there used to be swamp coolers the water to the swamp coolers needed to be shut off. Our neighbor called us to say that our was still on. Of course I was already at work and he was at school. Jeff said he already shut ours off months ago and couldn't figure out how ours was on. So yesterday when I got home from work I went to turn the knob off from under the bathroom sink. I called Jeff because I thought I was turning the wrong knob because it was already shut off, just as he had thought. So anywho, I decided to go for a run while I waited for him to get home. I'm out running thinking, "I feel pretty good. I should go six miles because I always feel best when I go six miles.." Then I saw that his truck was home and I had put dinner in the over so I decided to come home. Good thing I did. I walk in expecting to be greeted happily but instead I hear, "BETH!!! COME HERE QUICK!" in a very frantic voice. Jeff is under the sink holding gallons and gallons of water back. Apparently the reason our water was the one not shut off is because our valve was broken. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how the whole thing works but Jeff had to sit there and hold with all his might this heavy force of water for 25 minutes while he waited for me to get back!! Then he tried to show me how to hold it so he could go shut the water off to the apt. The water wouldn't shut off and he came running up to hold the water in for me (I wasn't very good at holding it) while I called plumbers. Luckily one of our neighbors was home and came to help Jeff hold the water in so he could go find the right switch for our water. He got the water off and luckily only a few gallons ended up in our bathroom (most of which escaped when I was trying to hold the water) and luckily we were able to contain what did leak into our mop bucket. What an adventure! Oh and don't worry, dinner was completely burnt. Oh well, things could have been A LOT worse! But we do thing Jeff pulled a muscle in his hand from holding the water for so long!

6 comments:

Natalie Kay said...

OH NO!!! That doesn't sound very fun at all! Good thing you didn't go 6 miles. Is everything okay?

JessieC said...

That stinks! I am glad you guys caught it! Water can seriously be sooo damaging!! Sorry to hear about dinner too.

The Birds said...

Ooooh goodness! I am glad to hear you got things under control and that you are running again! Maybe you will inspire me to get my butt in gear! Hey when are we getting together again?

jonna said...

What a bummer! I can just see you two trying to stay calm and get things under control! You were laughing werent you!?:)

Lindsey said...

WOW!!! I am just glad things worked out okay in the end. They did, didn't they?

The Peterson's said...

Sounds like you had a great time.;) I am glad that things kinda worked out. At least your whole apt didn't flood or your roof cave in!