Saturday, October 9, 2010

Little Miss Cranky Pants

"Mellow", "Content", "Calm"... none of these words describe our little princess! At 7 1/2 weeks old we have decided we just might have ourselves a cranky baby. We have some days that are better than others, but for the most part we have a lot of fussing....unless eating or sleeping. I keep waiting for things to get better, but let's face it, every time I say, "I think she is coming out of it" or "I think she is starting to get happier", --she gets ten times worse. So I don't say that anymore.

I feel like everyone and their mother's dog describes their newborn with one of the three aforementioned words, and I'm not going to lie: a little jealous! Either way, we still love our little miss cranky pants to pieces and think she is a doll....we just try not to take her in public too often. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified to take her to church tomorrow. I know we will be the ones everyone is staring at wondering why we can't get our baby to calm down.

Here are some things we try. I'm hoping we'll look back at it one day an find it humorous.

*Swing. She lasts about 5-10 min. and then exercises her lungs.

*Bouncy seat. She lasts about 5-10 min. and then exercises her lungs.

*Floor mat w/ and w/o toys. She lasts about 10 minutes and I have to be there the entire time shaking rattles, singing, etc...and then she exercises her lungs.

*Holding. She last 1-2 min. sitting. Then it's up we go! We bounce, we walk, we bounce, we sway, we go room to room, we bounce some more, and so on. When we're up, we can last about 15 min. before exercising lungs.

* Gas drops and Gripe water. Don't seem to make much difference.

*Changing my diet. I have cut out dairy because it seems to make her have worse reflux, but she still has good reflux days and bad so I don't know if that has done anything.

*Walks. Let's put it this way--I try to stay away from houses and try to go on the trail when it's not a busy time. I walk her with the stroller and the carseat attachment, the stroller w/o carseat (she can lay down), and walk her without the stroller in my arms. She'll be calm for about 5 min. at a time, then I have to stop, take her out and console and put her back in and repeat. She usually starts a blood curdling scream at the absolute farthest place from home. I think everyone that has seen me thinks I abuse my child. Why else would she be screaming that way?! I have even had to take her out and carry her in one arm while pushing the stroller with the other.

*Swaddling. She HATES it, but mostly at night. If I put her arms in and wrap her tight, she throws a tantrum until her arms eventually come out. We think she's so skinny because she can't hold still. Even when she is sleeping she is moving all over squeaking an grunting. She sounds like a little dinosaur. When I go get her, she is usually completely sideways in the bassinet. I honestly don't even know that she ever sleeps.

*Pacifier. This lasts 10-15 min. depending on the day and I have to hold it in her mouth.

So basically, I rotate between all things all day long. When she eats, she eats for about an hour. I have been told not to feed her so long, but to be honest, sometimes having an hour where she isn't so cranky is kind of nice and makes the time go more quickly between the feedings. I have her eating about every 3 hours and she doesn't seems especially starving between feedings...just unsettled and sometimes burpy and gassy. Her nights aren't horrible, but she doesn't sleep through the night. She goes down about 8:30/9, gets up anywhere from 2:00-3:30 and then again around 6 or so. Lately she hasn't wanted to go back to sleep when she's up at 3:30 and that is torture. I would say I think things are going to get better...but I don't want to jinx myself. Oh well, in spite of it all, I am SO grateful to have a healthy baby (even if she's not so happy) and I love the days and even just the minutes in some cases when she is happy and smiley. We love her to pieces and couldn't imagine life without her!

5 comments:

Jupiter said...

Sorry to hear that! We also had a cranky baby--I can totally empathize! One thing that helped with us is music--and Baby Einstein. They have one called Lullaby Time that would calm her down most of the time. I remember being so frustrated because I couldn't even get through a shower without her screaming--going shopping, or visiting family and friends was a nightmare. Thankfully, she did grow out of it, and now she is a delight--even if she is in the tantrum stage of her terrible two's, but we have more good days than bad days now. We also found lights--like a rotating lamp that throws lights and shapes helped. The glow worm is the best $9.00 we ever spent. She would stare at it for hours, cooing--the only problem is that you have to keep pressing the button. If nothing else, just know it will get better and it is only a phase.

Keri said...

I have now gone through 2 cranky babies. For both of them the worst lasted about 3-4 months. For Emily, I ended up adding formula to her diet and that helped us a ton. I don't think I was making enough bmilk for her to truly get full. Anyway, I think a lot of people go through the same thing you are. You WILL survive!! By the way, she is so adorable!!

jonna said...

ooh, that sounds rough beth! I wish I had advice. Have you tried the Bjorn? Just strappin' her in so she's close to you and you are hands free. Just a thought...and to help you keep your sanity so you can still do some things! Does she like the car? Go for drives???

I actually had a dream last night about you and Heidi. I came to visit and I was trying to help you calm her. Weird, I know.

ALso, maybe google Colic babies and see what tips they have. Not that Heidi is colic. But there might be ideas on how to sooth!

Good luck!

The Peterson's said...

Wish I had some amazing suggestions but I don't! Her pictures are all beautiful and I am happy she is here. Wish I could help mommy though!

Kari said...

Been there...done that. You're definitely not the only one (even though it feels like it), so here's a shout out of solidarity from me! Chase got much better at about 3 months, but it still took almost a year to have him sleep through the night (he got up every 2 hours to nurse), which was rough for this working mommy. We paced the house a lot with a screaming baby and crying parents, but I can tell you that he his now the happiest toddler I've ever met. Have hope and I totally feel for you! We're praying baby #2 will be better for us:)