Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Emergency Room already?

I realized a couple weeks ago that I did not have one picture of myself with Heidi. I finally made Jeff take a picture because let's face it, I did give birth to this little one! This picture was taken the first time we took Heidi to church and I am just now blogging about it.

Anyway, so I had to take Heidi to the ER yesterday. I felt like one of those over-protective moms, but Jeff insisted I go and I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. After Heidi's shots she started throwing up florescent yellow and also brown that looked like it might be bloody. The pediatrician said to take her in to the ER to make sure it wasn't some gastrointestinal bleeding. So we spent the day (and yes I mean the entire day) waiting around in the waiting room to find nothing out. They told she probably had a reaction to the rotavirus since it is a live virus. Or they said it might have been the formula I gave her the day before. We are trying to teach Heidi how to take a bottle and I didn't have any pumped milk ready so we tried a little formula. She only got 2 oz. down, so I would be surprised if that was it. In the end, they told me to wait it out 24 hrs., don't give her any formula, and come back if it keeps happening and they will do an x-ray. I'm so glad I spent the day (and no doubt loads of $$$ for that). I'm pretty sure she is just fine. She hasn't had any more vomiting, her temp. is back to normal, and she seems happy and healthy. I think Jeff was more concerned than I was...what a good daddy. :)

Jeff really is the cutest dad. He just adores his little princess. He loves bath time and wants to steal her the second he gets home. It's so fun to watch. Heidi's sleeping has gotten SO much better the last two days. I was glad to know friends who I think are great moms let their kids "cry it out"....it made me feel better. We still have tears, but it is getting better. My friend also let me borrow her mobile and that really helps, especially when I first put her in. The best part is that the mobile has a remote so I don't have to go in to start it over. Now that is ingenious. We need to get better at going down at night time now. Weeks 3-8 were so hard, but I think our little girl is settling in. She is so much happier and we just love her to pieces!

3 comments:

The Peterson's said...

I am sorry you had to spend the day there. Glad nothing serious was wrong. You are a wonderful mom!

Megan C. said...

That stinks that you already had to go to the ER! Glad to hear that she's sleeping better. Apparently crying it out works for everyone but Jack!

McMurtrey said...

I don't let them give the roto immunization. It is known to have bad side effects. I'm so sorry that that happened. I would have taken her to the ER too. Those kinds of things can be seriouse. You did the right thing.