Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The White House


While in Washington DC, we had the amazing opportunity to take a personal tour of the West Wing of the White house. A former student of one of the other math teachers is in the Navy. He is currently on duty at the White House and was able to get us in for a tour. So awesome! We got to wear these sweet tags, but of course couldn't take them home.

We were unable to take pictures of a lot, but it was so cool! I could go on and on about all of the different areas and rooms, but I will spare you too many of the details. This is one of the dining rooms.
Apparently Brad Pitt has eaten in this dining room. I am pretty sure he sat in the exact chair I am sitting...ha ha. All of the plates had the presidential seal on them. I kept telling one of the ladies we were with to stick the silverware in her purse, but she didn't seem to think that was a good idea.





We also got to taste the most delicious dessert in the whole wide world! The cute little Navy cooks made us what is known as Chocolate Freedom. It was to die for!!!!

We learned loads of interesting facts about the White House. We had fun watching the snipers on the roof and learning about all of the crazy security.






The press room was really interesting. The names of the newspapers were on the chairs, which I didn't know. The room was also a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

We went into the building directly behind the White House as well. It was really neat and historical. Most of the rooms are used as offices now. This room we were in was called the Indian Treaty Room. While we were in this room, we looked out the window and saw the snipers move to a different part of the roof of the White House. Then we saw one of the Obama girls playing with the dog out on the lawn. We couldn't see them really closely, but it was really cool. I was lucky that I went with such a fun group of people! We had a blast!

4 comments:

The Peterson's said...

That is so cool! How special to get to do so much! Wonderful memories you have created.

The Marshall Family said...

Beth, I am so jealous. I am so glad you had a great time.

The Wanner Family said...

Wow. it looks like you've been having a ton of fun. I'm so jealous. Miss you tons!

Rachel K. said...

Wow that's so cool! When I went we couldn't even get close to it... I love looking at your pics of the trip. It looks like you had a blast!