Friday, March 21, 2008

Home Sick

HOW THURSDAY WAS SUPPOSED TO GO:

Jeff was going to come to the school with me (he's on spring break) and while I was busy teaching, he was going to get the car inspected for registration. Jeff's sister was also in town so after school we were going to go out to his parents house for dinner and to see our darling nieces and nephews.

HOW THURSDAY ENDED UP GOING DOWN:

Well, after being fairly healthy all year, it finally hit me. On Wednesday night my throat started to hurt and by Thursday morning I had a fever and my throat hurt even worse. Since I get strep throat EVERY SINGLE YEAR AT LEAST ONCE, I had a feeling that is what I had. I think I should just become a doctor because I am almost always right at diagnosing myself and others. Anyway, so Jeff came with me to school, took the car to get its inspection and I was feeling worse by the minute. I was dizzy and my legs felt like jello. Of course subs are nearly impossible to find but our great secretary was able to get her daughter to come sub for me at noon. Thankfully I was also able to get a doctors appointment as well. Jeff got back to the school and helped me get the kids to lunch and we went home while we waited until my appointment. I slept and felt even worse by the time he woke me up to go. I was soooo dizzy!! I started walking down the stairs and Jeff was a couple steps behind me. I seriously could not feel my legs so I fell on the second step...smooth. We got to the doctor and I hurt so bad and my head was pounding and my ears felt like they were going to explode. I was in so much pain I did what I always do when I hurt...I cried. I was so embarrassed. I couldn't stop crying sitting there waiting for the doctor--I don't think I have a very high pain tolerance. Anyway, the doctor finally called me in. I had a fever of 104 (which apparently is why I was so dizzy and weak). I did have strep and I got the penicillin shot to the rear--it seems to be a yearly tradition. I was still contagious for 24 hours so I got a sub. for Friday, which is a good thing I did. The shot seems to have kicked in, but slower than usual. I continued fighting a fever all night and until this evening, my throat hurt quite a bit. At least I have the weekend to recover completely.

Anyway....that's my long story of why I haven't been much of a blogger this week. Thank you to the second grade team for being such great friends and taking some of my kids when subs came late, left early, etc. I am so lucky to have such great friends!

10 comments:

Natalie Kay said...

You poor girl! I'm so sorry!

The good thing about strep is that once it's diagnosed it's such a speedy recovery. When I was sick the other week I was almost crossing my fingers it was strep just for that reason.

I hope you are feeling better now!

Megan C. said...

That really stinks! No worries about your kids - we did split them up during B track today, but they were fine. Cameron D. was actually there and I got him today. But your kids were great - made me laugh!
And the fact that you act grateful that we took your kids helps. We took someone else's class on Thursday B-track and never heard a word of thanks. Hope you start feeling better soon!

JessieC said...

oh, sweetie, that's horrible! I hope you feel better by tomorrow!

jonna said...

it is just like you beth to go to school even when you know you are sick...i do the same thing...i remember having to talk you into going home when you would get migraines. You are such a trooper. Feel better soon...i will forgive you on the blogging!:(

Cindi said...

We missed you! Hope you feel better. See ya next week.

Lacey said...

I'm so sorry beth. I got strep two years ago for the first time and it was dreadful. It's crazy how fast it hits you. I hope you are feeling better! :)

Montgomery Family said...

Sorry that you were sick. Hopefully this nice weather this weekend has made you feel better!

THE RAINES FAMILY said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry. Sounds awful. I hope you've been able to rest this weekend.

Lindsey said...

What a terrible way to spend your Easter weekend. But, than again, I am glad that you had the weekend to recover. I hope now you are back at school all healthy.

The Peterson's said...

I am glad you finally found a sub that day. I never ended up getting one. I am glad to see you feeling better today.