Friday, November 27, 2015

our non-traditional thanksgiving

 Celebrating Thanksgiving was very different for us this year.  My brother lives two hours away and I was assuming we would just get together with them.  Every time I would ask them about it, they weren't sure if they were going to visit my sister-in-law's family in North Carolina.  When they finally had a plan, it was that my sister in law would be flying into Nashville on Thanksgiving morning.  She had a car so she would be driving back up to Kentucky.  That meant that me hosting wasn't really going to happen because they didn't want to drive back down here.  They didn't feel like hosting because obviously just got home.  So my brother suggested just meeting and going out to eat.  I really didn't want to, but I also really wanted the girls to see their cousins.  The girls and I went shopping the day before anyway because I had a feeling we were still going to want a somewhat more traditional Thanksgiving meal at some point over the weekend.  I thought this picture Heidi snapped of Savanna helping put things in the cart was so cute.  I love those curls and how she carries "Baby Baby" everywhere we go.

Thanksgiving morning we went to the lake for a run.  Jeff is recovering from pneumonia and because of the antibiotic he is on wasn't able to run so I got an extra long run and it felt great.  The girls had fun at our favorite spot and we were feeling pretty blessed to be enjoying a beautiful 65 degree weather day.  We don't miss winter even a tiny bit.  We love how active we can be year round.

After the lake we showered and got ready to head to my brother's house.  We met them and went to eat.  Honestly, it was everything I figured....not Thanksgiving at all.  The food was mediocre at best, the girls didn't eat a thing, and we couldn't even have a conversation because it was so loud.  We were missing my mother-in- law's looking something fierce!

My brother had a horrible migraine, which I can totally commiserate with, so we visited long enough for the cousins to play hide and go seek a few minutes and then we headed home.  I don't regret going because I absolutely love seeing my girls with cousins.  It has always made me so sad that they have never had much time with any cousins so any chance we can get to see cousins we take.





 On our way home from my brother's house we stopped in Clarksville where they light up the river walkway.  It was so much fun and the girls absolutely loved seeing all of the Christmas lights!  It really got us in the mood for Christmas!

Overall, we really did have a nice Thanksgiving.  I'm so glad my brother lives within a few hours of us.  Next year I will cook and host for sure, but I don't regret what we did this year.  We made some funny memories and the girls were great little travelers.  The Lord has blessed me with far more than I deserve and I am so grateful to have had a day to remember and think about all that I have been given!  It may not have been "traditional", but it was a very happy, happy Thanksgiving spent with people I love!



No comments: