Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's Always Best to be Polite

We switch our kids for reading groups and Friday I had an interesting conversation with a little boy who can't sit still to save his life. It was so funny to me, I thought I would share.

We were reading this little passage about two boys named Ben and Jeff. Jeff dropped his hat into a fast moving stream that was very deep. Jeff decided to solve the problem by jumping in the stream and retrieving the hat for his buddy.

We have been working on problem and solution. The kids were asked if Jeff's solution to the problem was a good one and why or why not based on the details in the paragraph.

This little guy writes,

No, because HE/SHE may get hurt in the water because it is a fast moving, deep stream.

I then reply with,

That is a great answer, but I think you can just put "he" since we know from the paragraph that it's a boy since his name is Ben.

He then says,

Well, it's always better to be polite.

How can you argue with that?

When Jeff gets home, I wonder if HE/SHE will make dinner. Just trying to be polite.



4 comments:

karen louise said...

That is seriously hilarious!! Oh the funny things those little kids say...it happens every single day, and I always just laugh...

:)

Lindsey said...

LOL!!!! I love and miss these types of things about teaching. What a cutie!

The Peterson's said...

You have a great class!!! That is cute!

Heidi said...

OH MY WORD!!! That is got to go down as one of the funniest stories from our teaching history. I bet you were laughing so hard or trying to contain yourself!! Just trying to be polite!!! So hilarious. I miss these stories from you, I know I know I would have been crying laughing to hear you tell it in person!!