Sunday, January 19, 2014

a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week

One of my favorite books of all time is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.  I have tried to stay positive this week, but it seems like one thing after another have been going on all week!

We started with Savanna puking Sunday after church.  Heidi didn't throw up until she was 2.5, talking,  and in a big girl bed, so the whole finding a child in a pile of vomit was a whole new, not so pleasant experience. I lucked out with Heidi being a little older for that joy of motherhood to start.

Naturally it is my month for preschool.  I had everything ready for the week but didn't think it was a good idea to expose everyone to whatever Savanna had.  I don't think anyone was very happy, but I think it would have been worse for everyone to end up with the flu.

Of course this was also the week of Jeff's outage.  So basically that meant that I was a single mom for the week. Savanna was quite a bit better by Monday, but wasn't eating much and had really bad diapers.  Same thing Tuesday, but I was feeling lucky Heidi hadn't started throwing up.  Just when I thought I was in the clear, Heidi started.  Yippee.  I knew this meant yet another long, long night.  Starting around Christmas, the headaches for me have become almost unbearable.  I have had a few times where I have gone 3-5 days without a headache, but other than that, I have had a tension headache every single day, which turns into migraine about 3 times a week.  It has been a major challenge.  The medications that have been prescribed sometimes work, but usually don't.  I have tried essential oils.  I started drinking more water.  I have cut out sugars.  My blood pressure is fine, if anything it's on the low side.  Being in a small area with two small kids and no one to help with the girls, I don't feel like I have the option for other treatment such as chiropractor or acupuncture.  I am pretty sure the reason they are so bad is lack of sleep.  Savanna has been sick a lot and teething and hasn't been sleeping well and has been waking up early everyday.  When I get a good night of sleep, I usually don't have a headache.  So anyway, my point is, I knew this week would result in little sleep for me and horrible headaches.  Of course I was right.

To add to my headaches I realized I had jury duty on Friday.  I called to see what my options were since I had sick kids.  They told me I could under no circumstance not be there or they would come and arrest me.  I thought that was ridiculous.  There was no way I was going to ask someone to come watch my sick kids. Naturally I started feeling sick on Thursday.  Thankfully it was mostly over by Friday morning for me and luckily Jeff's outage ended a day early and he was able to stay home with the girls.  I went to jury duty and wouldn't you know I was picked to be a juror?  I had a terrible headache and sat through the trial waiting for it to be over.

Then we found out my neighbors sold their house.  We knew they were going to move and have been so, so sad about it.  We are happy for them and their new adventure, but it is difficult for us.  This is the first time in 9.5 yrs of marriage that we have had decent neighbors.  We had hopes of a sweet family moving in, but from what we have heard from multiple people (it's a small town), it doesn't look like we will be quite so lucky.  We are hoping for the best.

The next day Jeff started throwing up.  Awesome.  Jeff's body and mind do not handle the stomach flu well.  It has been a horrible weekend to end a horrible week.  I have a horrible migraine, Savanna has not been at her best as those stubborn teeth slowly work their way down, and I am ready to call it a week.  I have been really battling depression (mostly I think because I am so.flipping.tired and living in constant pain is hard).  I had bad depression after both of the girls were born and I am terrified for how I will be after this baby is born.  Next week better be a little better or I might just have to move to Australia.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love that book too! I'm sorry things have been like this lately, being a mama and a pregnant lady is hard work and not for the faint of heart! I wish we lived closer so we could help each other out with our kids-- wouldn't that be nice?! (Not to mention how fun it would be to have these cute little cousins play together!) You are doing an amazing job with those girls, especially considering everything that has been going on. It must be so awful having a baby throwing up, sick babies are SO SAD! I'm praying Ginny skips the flu during this cold/flu season or I may be waiting for you to join me in Australia!