Friday, June 4, 2010

Rough Day

Today is the last day of school, and like every year, it is bittersweet. Today, it feels a little more bitter since it is my last day of school for I am not sure how long. It has been such a great year. It feels so strange and so incredibly sad to say goodbye to my career. As I look back on the last seven years, I can't help but feel unbelieveably grateful. I have worked at two incredible schools, with two incredible principals, colleagues that have become my best friends, and I have always had the best students and parents to work with. I have the best of memories and have made such great friends with so many people. I am excited to stay home with our little girl and be a mom, but I didn't anticipate just how hard it would be say goodbye to this part of my life. I feel like I am losing part of who I am and I can't believe I won't have a set of keys letting me into a school and a classroom. There are so many things I am going to miss:

*Summers of getting organized and ready for a new batch of kiddos--I love the anticipation
*Seeing the back to school sales and getting an excited/nervous pit in my stomach
*The night before school starts nightmares...well, maybe I won't miss those so much, or maybe I'll still get them
*The first month of school. I love training a new group and getting to know the kids!
*Planning and teaching the curriculum. I will especially miss watching the kids learn and get excited about what we are learning.
*The connection you make with students
*Halloween in an elementary school! Crazy day, but I LOVE it!
*Hearing "Mrs. Hunziker" or my favorite, "Hunziker", a hundred times a day from every kid in town
*Feeling part of a team
*Laughing with and playing jokes on colleagues
*Lunch in the faculty room
*The feeling of having grades done and turned in
*Parent/Teacher conferences...I really do like meeting and celebrating with the parents. Plus, I have to say, I really have worked with such positive parents and always enjoy visiting.
*When the long nights of parent/teacher conferences are over--they do tend to be exhausting!
*Looking forward to the breaks--Thanksgiving, Christmas, Summer
*Tracking student growth
*Holidays and theme days
*The always overflowing lost and found
*The funny things the kids say when you least expect
*The way the kids make you feel
*Read aloud...I love watching the expressions and excitement when we read a really good book
*Seeing the coats and backpacks hanging on the coathooks

and so much more...

Jeff has been so sweet and supportive this week, which has really helped out. I know when this little baby comes I will be so happy I stayed home and I know it will be hard, (harder than working) but worth it. This summer I think I am just going to have to focus on getting ready for the baby to keep my mind off of school. So weird...not only will I not be bringing home a paycheck, but I will no longer be known as a teacher.

6 comments:

The Peterson's said...

The last day is always hard! I am glad that Jeff was there for you! You will be a great mom and that is the best thing ever!

Ashlyn Ellsworth said...

I love the list of things you are going to miss. We are so weird loving penny sales at Office Max and seeing the shelves of Walmart being filled with pencils, notebooks, and crayons. The wonderful things that make us smile as teachers!

Melissa said...

You will always be a teacher. Just a teach at home. You will be teaching your little girl how to be the best she can be. She will be so blessed to have you as a mom. Good luck this summer and have fun browsing the baby adds instead of the back to school adds.

McMurtrey said...

You will be a teacher to at least one person always (once she gets here). Also while I was reading the things you will miss I realized I love a lot of those things too. Only it is when my kids go to school. I guess it will be about five years for those things to start all over again, when you daughter starts school. Yes, even the nightmares.

The Birds said...

I remember having those same feelings. There are times I feel like I did loose a part of me and then my kids start to grow and I get to use my expertise and teach them. I feel confident in the area and it is fun to teach my children. It is so much fun watching them grasp a concept. Even more fun then watching others kids. I taught Kenedy the other day how to put letter sounds together to make a word. I loved watching the excitement in her face! We never stop teaching! You will be the best little mommy and teacher! I can not wait to meet the oh so cute Heidi. I know she will be adorable and amazing simply because you are amazing and basically because she has an awesome name! LOL! Call me when you are down here!

karen louise said...

Oh wow...what a feeling. I'm sure whenever that time does come for me I will have the exact same list. You will be an amazing mother! And just like Heidi said....you can use your expertise and teach her well!! :)Congrats, again!!