Sunday, September 14, 2008

Staying Warm

Between This....

And This...

The Hunzikers will not be giving their entire paycheck to Questar Gas. When we heard they were raising their rates 75% this year we decided we had better take advantage of the wood burning stove in our basement--especially if we have a winter like last year. I can't believe those greedy little monsters are raising rates that high when so many people are struggling. We have been so busy chopping and stacking the last couple of weeks! We got a permit and went to the mountains two different times this summer and let me tell you, it was hard work!! This last Saturday we rented a wood splitter and finished up with the remaining stack of stumps too big to stack. We only had the splitter for an hour so let me tell you, we were hauling butt! Then we came home and stacked the last of what we had cut. I have plenty of bruises and scratches to prove I was not the cheerleader in the background! Jeff even has a nice, big war wound on his knee where the chainsaw got him, but we are hoping to be nice and warm in this Wyoming winter. It is so nice to be done and ready. I was especially happy that our house had a covered area for the wood. I'm so glad it has a place.

Anyway, so the wood has been what has been keeping us the most busy over the weekends. The next few weekends will probably now be devoted to the yard. Yippee...my favorite...sike! I am secretly excited for winter just so we can work on the inside of the house, which is what I like to do. I can't wait to paint the upstairs rooms and move the master bedroom upstairs!

Oh and one more thing...the other morning there was a deer in our front yard next to our porch. It ate one of the plants in our planter, but I was pretty excited because it was one we were going to get rid of anyway!

12 comments:

McMurtrey said...

That is a lot of work with the wood. I remember doing that when I was a kid. We will be doing that when we live in the east mountains.

Heidi said...

I love the wood stack!! I remember watching my dad and all my uncles cutting down wood for my Grandma each year and my dad is not a small man and he was so tired!! I bet you're exhausted!! Hand in there!! I feel so bad, I've been there and it is so not fun!! I wish I lived next door to you!!

karen louise said...

Oh wow...yes, you are going to keep warm:) I'm so glad you were able to get all of that wood! Gosh, you really will be so grateful for the pain it took to get all of it!! As for the job...I too feel the same at times. Especially when I moved schools...I felt so out of my element, not knowing any of the procedures, kids, parents, teachers,...and it was just really really hard. Believe it or not, things do get better...and you will start to find happy moments. Hope you have a good week!!!

Cindi said...

There is no way on heaven or earth that you are doing a lousy job. You are one of the most amazing teachers I have ever seen. You have so much knowledge and talent. They are very lucky to have you there, whether they know it or not! I know how hard it is to stay positive. I didn't teach for 2 years after my first grade experience. Just remember how much we love and miss you!!!

Jill Cook said...

We heat our house the same way with wood and now a pellet stove for the basement. It's a nice kind of heat but a lot of work to get ready for the winter.
I'm sure you are doing a great job with the kids. You are such a great teacher!

The Peterson's said...

I completely understand. And I want to suggest things to my new team and different stuff, but I don't want to be one of those people who are always saying "Well at my old school..." I hated that when other teacher did that to me. I am also struggling with my new school and feeling sucessful. Plus everything else going on here... I don't know anything new since I talked to you last. We are struggling and nothing in coming available up there so for now we are here. I cashed in my Utah 401K and everything we can get money for. But we will see. I honestly don't know what we are going to do.

Lindsey said...

Talk about impressive!!! I love wood burning stoves in the winter. You guys are so lucky.
I am sorry that you are frustrated at work. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I think Karen said it best. Hang in there, and good luck with this week.

The Marshall Family said...

Don't think for a second that you are lousy teacher...Ashleigh still talks about you and how much she loves you. Anyone who knows you, knows that you would do anything to help the kids you teach. Keep smiling and remember that we all love you.

My sister-in-law tagged me and now I am tagging you. Check out my blog to get the rest of the info.

The Wanner Family said...

I'm sorry things aren't going well. It's hard not teaching at Pony where everything is wonderful and you have friends. Remember you are the best teacher I've ever known. Good luck!

Rachel K. said...

It looks like you've been busy! It was so fun talking to you on Sunday... I miss working with you and all of our fun pranks! I've started really planning how to make that cake. I think it'll be great!

Christine said...

Man, you guys are prepared! That is a lot of wood!

Dana said...

Beth- first of all I need your email address please! Second, I have a question (going on your blog since I don't have your email!). When you did summer stars a few years ago, you had poems that you would work on with the kids. Each poem I think focused on a different word family or sound. Where did you get those?