Thursday, January 19, 2017

saying goodbye

Last weekend I traveled to California to say goodbye to my sweet grandma. I miss her so much. She and grandpa were a big part of my life growing up.  I am so, so sad that we won't get to see her when we head west next year.  My uncle was kind enough to make some copies of some pictures I asked for and had them ready to give me at the service.  I am so glad that he did that for me.  I have always loved her wedding pictures.  She had such interesting life and I am sure that she is so happy to be with grandpa again.

 The service was nice and the weather could not have been more pleasant.  It was the most beautiful California day and the plot they have in Hollywood Hills is so pretty. My brothers and some of my cousins were the pallbearers and the service was small and simple.  It was a beautiful day to celebrate the life of a beautiful person.  I know my grandma loved me, Jeff, and the girls.  She was so proud of me and loved to hear from me and about me.  The last time I talked to her was at the end of September when my dad was out visiting and she wanted to do a FaceTime call.  
 She kept telling me how beautiful I was.  She always made me feel good about myself and she was always excited to see or hear from me.  She used to make me laugh and she loved to tell me stories from her past.  She liked court shows and I remember her watching "The People's Court" when I was there one time.  The judge's name at the time was Judge Wapner. She said, "You better be careful or Judge Wapner is going to wapp you."  I thought it was sooo funny and we laughed and laughed.  I remember being in the back of her car as a little girl travelling from Idaho to Michigan.  I can still smell the car.  I can still hear her voice and see her face.  I still cry when I think about the service and about losing her, but I know time will make the emotions a little less raw.  I hope I can tell the girls enough about her throughout the years that they feel close to her as well.  She was a wonderful grandmother for me and I'm so grateful I had her in my life as long as I did.  I love you, grandma!










No comments: